You are here
Summer is a Great Time to Work on Your Career!
May 1, 2017
UMD's Career and Internship Services has lots of ideas.
- See if you are on track with the 4-year career plan
- Explore majors at UMD and what goes into choosing a major
- Research careers using a variety of sources such as Occupational Outlook Handbook and O*Net
- Check out the Graduate Follow-up Report to see where recent UMD grads are working or continuing their education and more
- Conduct informational interviews and job shadows to find out about careers and to make connections
- Create or update a LinkedIn profile
- Network with everyone about their career aspirations and job search ideas
- Prepare a resume and cover letter and submit them for review
- Practice interviewing using InterviewStream, a free, online tool
- Present yourself professionally on social media. Check us out on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn – our student written blog has a number of related posts such as volunteering and other summer activities
- Follow companies and inspiring leaders in their fields, on social media – LinkedIn Pulse is a great place to start
- Use resources to help you learn about and find internships and jobs
- Plan to attend fall job and internship fairs
- Explore graduate and professional schools
- Download and read the Career Handbook – everything they need to know in one place
Career & Internship Services is here to help you from freshman through senior year and beyond.
We're open all summer from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday!