You are here
Jeni Eltink Honored
Jeni Eltink receives the Association of College Unions International's Inspiring Vision Award.
Jeni Eltink, director of Kirby Student Center, received the ACUI Inspiring Vision Award in October during the Region V Conference at the University of Nebraska Lincoln.
This award honors an individual who has exemplified the mission, vision, and values of their home institution and the Association of College Unions International (ACUI), including:
- Creating campus environments that promote student learning and personal development
- Being involved on their campus beyond their direct area or department
- Enhancing the quality of work life in ways that make a significant difference for colleagues or customers
- Providing outstanding and ongoing excellence in service to faculty, staff, students, community, and/or other customers
- Developing creative solutions to problems that result in significantly more effective and efficient department or university operations
- Consistently demonstrating one or more of their institution’s values
- Showing dedication to the ideals of ACUI
"Jeni and her entire Kirby staff consistently support divisional and campus-wide efforts including leadership of UMD Commissions, campus governance, collaborative programming, orientation events, administrative initiatives, training, and recruiting efforts. Jeni values the potential in her professional and student staff. She takes the time to know ht person, their strengths and professional goals, and empowers them to find how those skills can be of value to their daily work. Students are the focal point of Jeni's role with Kirby, and she never loses sight of supporting them as well as challenging them during teachable moments," said Corbin J. Smyth, associate vice chancellor for Student Life.
"In everything that she does in her professional role, Jeni strives to fulfill UMD Goals #1 and #2 in all aspects of her work. She supports her staff of eight other professionals, the sorority she advises, the Kirby student employees, student leaders, student organizations, and fellow colleagues across campus. She is a tireless advocate for students from under-represented populations, and was recently recognized by our GLBT Support Services Office as the “Outstanding Staff Member” at UMD. Students highly regard Jeni across our campus for providing inclusive spaces and opportunities for all students. She sincerely believes in unconditional human worth, and exhibits this every day in her work at UMD," Smyth stated.